[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0084: Allow trailing commas in parameter lists and tuples

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri May 13 12:46:39 CDT 2016

> On May 13, 2016, at 11:29 AM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 13, 2016, at 7:04 AM, Erica Sadun <erica at ericasadun.com> wrote:

>>> I personally find that style repulsive :-) and I haven’t seen swift code commonly doing it.  I’m not sure that we want to encourage it either.
>>>

>> No. Tell us what you *really* think of the style. Don't hold back.[1]
>>
>>> If we were really concerned about this, a narrower way to solve the same problem would be to allow a comma before the ), but *only* when there is a newline between them.  I still don’t see why we’d want to encourage this though.
>>
>> I wouldn't object to this restriction. I cannot think of a situation where using ",)" -- that is the comma adjacent to a closing parenthesis -- makes sense for any reason previously enumerated in support of this proposal.
>
> I don't see why we need to micromanage the situations where trailing commas are allowed. That's just unnecessarily increasing the fractal complexity of the language. We've delegated other style choices like requiring `self.` or brace formatting to linters; why does this one need to be legislated by the compiler?
>
> -Joe

Mostly because I'm trying to play nice and get Chris to reconsider. I'd like to get the feature, I'm willing to compromise on the technicalities.
Having it would make my coding life significantly easier and if a little micromanagement is involved, I'm not terribly fussed. When I need trailing
commas, it's always at the ends of lines anyway.

But since I don't want to undercut you, so I'd much prefer to step back and defer to your judgement on this.

-- E