[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0084: Allow trailing commas in parameter lists and tuples

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri May 13 09:04:57 CDT 2016

On May 12, 2016, at 11:01 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> On May 12, 2016, at 4:50 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:
>>> You’re arguing that you want to read Swift code written like this?
>>
>> I wouldn't mind it.
>
> I personally find that style repulsive :-) and I haven’t seen swift code commonly doing it.  I’m not sure that we want to encourage it either.

No. Tell us what you *really* think of the style. Don't hold back.[1]

> If we were really concerned about this, a narrower way to solve the same problem would be to allow a comma before the ), but *only* when there is a newline between them.  I still don’t see why we’d want to encourage this though.

I wouldn't object to this restriction. I cannot think of a situation where using ",)" -- that is the comma adjacent to a closing parenthesis -- makes sense for any reason previously enumerated in support of this proposal.

-- E

[1] "Swift is an opinionated language" - C. Lattner