[swift-evolution] [Draft] Introducing StaticSelf, an Invariant Self

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Fri May 13 08:37:18 CDT 2016

Comments inline.

Am 13. Mai 2016 um 09:31 schrieb "Vladimir.S via swift-evolution" <swift-evolution at swift.org>:

I don't feel that InvariantSelf reflects the fact that class conformed to
protocol with `f()->InvariantSelf` requirement will actually return
'self or some base class'. Especially when this `InvariantSelf` means
`exactly this concrete static type name` inside type declaration.

Probably the better name is BaseType (BaseSelf, ThisType.. #Type ?)

But actually I don't fully understand how this would work in generic functions:

protocol A {
func g()->StaticSelf
}

class B: A {
func g()->StaticSelf {return B()}
}

class C: B {
}

func x(a: A ){
var xx : A = a.g() // will this work? as g returns *some in hierarchy*
print(xx)
}

StaticSelf within the protocol should just be the protocol, i.e. here A

Only for non-protocol types conforming to the protocol StaticSelf becomes equal to the first type where the respective method gets implemented (if we should get abstract classes some day this would mean that for an abstract class conforming to the protocol but not implementing the method a, StaticSelf would still be A).

func z<T: A>(t: T) {
let u = t.g() // will this work?
print(u)
}

This will work as well with static type of `u` being A.

let c = C()
z(c)

This is of course correct because C conforms to A. The static type of `u` within `z` is A (see comment above). This is independent from the dynamic type of the parameter `t` (which has nothing to do with StaticSelf).

x(c)

Again `c` conforms to A, so this is correct.

-Thorsten