[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0081: Move where clause to end of declaration

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Fri May 13 05:03:31 CDT 2016

> On 10 May 2016, at 19:51, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I’m a +1, however personally I’d prefer this to be optional my constraints aren’t that complex, for example:

	func someMethod<T where T.Element == String>(value:T) { … }

Personally I prefer to keep such simple cases as they are, but would happily use the new ability to move more complex ones (e.g- dealing with Generator.Element and multiple constraints) to the end as proposed.

So I’m +1, but I don’t think it should be one or the other, I’d prefer to have both options, with a recommendation that trailing constraints be used in complex cases for clarity.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Generic constraints are one of the most powerful, and daunting, features of Swift, so anything that makes them a bit neater and keeps function signatures tidy is an improvement. Of course there’s a lot more that can be done to simplify generic constraints further, but given the simple elegance of this improvement it easily justifies inclusion.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I’d say yes, since the feature itself is unchanged and already part of Swift, it’s just the location that is being moved.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read through, which is plenty since the proposal is fairly straightforward, I’ve also been following the discussion for a while.