[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0075: Adding a Build Configuration Import Test

Dany St-Amant dsa.mls at icloud.com
Thu May 12 20:30:11 CDT 2016

> On May 10, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of "SE-0075: Adding a Build Configuration Import Test" begins now and runs through May 16. The proposal is available here:
>
>  https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0075-import-test.md
>
>  * What is your evaluation of the proposal?

The goal is valid, but I do have an issue with the 'canImport'. In my world it's not because you can import something that you want to use it. So for conditional compile code, I see this more as a 'didImport'.

Unfortunately for the conditional import, since I'm on the page of it's not because you can, that you should; I think it better serve by checking against the os() or arch(). Though, there is a need to ask to import something that might not exist; will this require both 'canImport' and 'didImport', or should we, along my 'didImport', include a 'weakImport/quietImport/importIfExist' which ignores failure to import?

>  * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

With common source there's a need to be able to compile code against different API providing the same functionality, so something like this is needed

>  * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

>  * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
>  * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Followed, the initial discussion, but not recalling much about it.

Dany