[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0086: Drop NS Prefix in Swift Foundation

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Thu May 12 03:32:44 CDT 2016

I second Matthew’s points. I believe dropping NS- is more harmful than helpful, especially for the future. People have been using Foundation with the prefix for decades, so I don’t think there’s a longing need that will make using it in Swift unbearable. It has an older Objective-C flavoured approach, relying heavily on classes, run loops, key value observing (e.g. NSOperation), exceptions, and notifications. I think its philosophy will stand out more than its NS- prefix. Even if many classes become value types, it feels more like a port.

I think for something to be so central as the recommended ‘foundational’ library for Swift, it carries too much baggage, which is unfortunate in the light of Swift’s radical eagerness to reject unnecessary legacy.

Many Foundation classes expect NSObject subclasses for delegates and for key value coding & observing. Key value observing requires on-the-fly subclassing at run time, something which goes strongly against Swift’s philosophy AFAIK.

Foundation is in some cases a wrapper around underlying technologies such as GCD, because years ago an Objective-C wrapper was seen as a more friendly, more safe, and a more familiar object-oriented approach. With Swift we have the power to make those technologies themselves more friendly, safe, and familiar with modernisations such as the current proposal for libdispatch. Extensions allow us to add properties and methods directly to the native types.

NSURL has methods such as .getResourceValue(_:forKey:) that involve mutable state.

I think removing the prefixes will take valuable real estate for types such as ‘URL’ and ‘Data’, which instead can have new replacements made, focused on the use-cases of only Swift. I think DispatchData could be a fine choice for ‘Data’, and has the strong benefit that it bridges to NSData on Darwin.

I fully support the idea of improving Foundation, and of there being a Linux-compatible version. I don’t support it being as first class as the standard library or libdispatch, and don’t support removing the NS prefixes.

Patrick