[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0084: Allow trailing commas in parameter lists and tuples

Ray Fix rayfix at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:38:52 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

-1 for me.  This proposal inspired me to start participating again. :]

The perceived benefits aren’t worth the visual noise to me.  (It looks half-baked to my eyes.)  I *really* want to avoid having to and a custom linting step in all my projects.  I further fear if this did become possible, I would somehow end up on a project where having extra commas *everywhere* was part of some coding standard.  Noooooo! :]

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Not from my vantage point.  If anything, I would remove the capability for collections. I was blissfully unaware of the functionality before reading this proposal.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I don’t believe so.  BTW, what about enum case statements?  enum Few { case one, two, three, } Or generic argument lists (I think as someone already mentioned.)  Shouldn’t those support extra commas too?  (No please! Haha.  :)

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Similar to Swift, C++ ignores trailing commas in some situations, but not for param lists.  I actually did use this feature in a few instances where the lists where frequently changed as it helped with merges.  I put up with it because it was in a few limited contexts and not everywhere.  This proposal would make it *everywhere* I fear.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Reading through the proposal and skimming the threads.

Best Wishes,
Ray