[swift-evolution] [proposal] Allow "let" for computed properties which only reference immutable data

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed May 11 10:34:39 CDT 2016

Sent from my iPad

> On May 11, 2016, at 10:26 AM, Sean Heber via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I kind of agree with the logic of that, but imagine the following:
>
> class Test {
>  let hello = “hello”
>  var subject = “world”
>  var phrase: String { return hello + “, “ + subject }
> }
>
> In this scenario, “subject” can be changed.. and that changes the result of “phrase”. Things like this are why computed properties are “var”.

This example would still be required to be var because it accesses a var in its implementation.

I like the idea of allowing this feature, but only in cases where the compiler can verify immutable semantics.  Having it may help drive other features that could expand the cases the compiler can verify.  That would be great as this is a direction I would like to see Swift take in the future.