[swift-evolution] Standard library 'Data' type pre-proposal

Jeremy Pereira jeremy.j.pereira at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 09:09:15 CDT 2016

> On 11 May 2016, at 10:37, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello swift-evolution,

> Some thoughts:
>
> - It's not clear if the methods to convert to and from base-64 encoded data are necessary. The state flag that tries to mark whether or not a Data represents base-64-encoded string stored as a data may be unnecessary as well.

I would definitely vote for having the base64 conversions in. The state flag would have less utility IMO.

I would also ask that you consider conversions to and from hex encoded strings. If nothing else, it would make it easier to convert git commit hashes to a readable form in my forthcoming git client vapourware.