[swift-evolution] [proposal] extra if syntax

Leonardo Pessoa me at lmpessoa.com
Tue May 10 19:10:31 CDT 2016

Despite being interesting and existing in other languages, I believe in Swift this could lead to weird declarations like

let x = 5 if b == 2

Would that mean the variable doesn't get declared if the condition fails? If it gets declared, which will be its value?  The types of statements that would allow this construction would have to be limited. Moreover, although this would allow for very readable semantics, the condition is not immediately seen and could lead to misunderstanding of the code.

I believe the current if and ?: syntaxes solve this issue and other needs using a very clean and readable syntax and don't really see a strong point in adding this new construct to the language.