[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0041: Updating Protocol Naming Conventions for Conversions

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Tue May 10 17:56:07 CDT 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1 for the idea of making the naming consistent
-1 for the actual chosen names

Even after reading the reasoning behind the choice of those words, it took me a time to scratch my head around it. It’s definitely not immediately obvious that Convertible is bi-directional.

I would have preferred something much more obvious (even if less grammatically correct):

-InputProtocol
-OutputProtocol
-InputOutputProtocol or BidirectionalProtocol

Or:

-Inputable
-Outputable (got that from Haskell)
-InputOutputable or -Bidirectionalable

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes for the idea of making them consistent, no for the names.

> 	* If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Haskell uses Outputable.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Read the proposal several times.