[swift-evolution] Change `repeat` to loop indefinitely if no while clause is present

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Tue May 10 15:04:01 CDT 2016

> On 10 May 2016, at 08:27, Nicholas Maccharoli via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> But I think it might be best to change the syntax / behaviour of `repeat` to loop
> indefinitely if no trailing while clause is present:
>
>     repeat {
>         if ... { break }
>         //...
>     }

-1 from me on both counts; the thing I like about while true is that it’s explicit about what I meant, whereas a repeat block with no while clause is indistinguishable from me forgetting to include one, or me wanting an infinite loop.

An alternative could be to add a new “forever” keyword or something similar, replacing while true wherever applicable, but personally I don’t think it’s that important.