[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0086: Drop NS Prefix in Swift Foundation
me at benrimmington.com
Tue May 10 13:11:50 CDT 2016
+1 to dropping the NS prefix; type names are more readable. However:
* AppKit, CoreData, and TextKit will still use the NS prefix.
* Prefixed names (in all frameworks) are more "googleable".
* Should deprecated types (e.g. NSMessagePort) keep the prefix?
+1 to using nested enums/options; it will make method signatures shorter.
You could also have a nested RunLoop.Timer class (cf. CFRunLoopTimer) and
move your experimental `scheduledTimer` method to the RunLoop class.
Will top-level constants/functions also be nested? For example:
* SE-0033: Import Objective-C Constants as Swift Types
* SE-0044: Import as Member
Missing from the "Drop NS prefix" list:
* NSCopying, NSMutableCopying
Missing from the "Hoisted types" list:
More information about the swift-evolution