[swift-evolution] [RFC] #Self

Timothy Wood tjw at me.com
Tue May 10 11:12:13 CDT 2016

> On May 10, 2016, at 9:05 AM, Matthew Johnson <matthew at anandabits.com> wrote:
>
> It isn't at all the same.  Self is covariant with the dynamic context.  #Self, #Type, #StaticType or whatever we call it is statically determined by the lexical context.

Yes. That is what the # distinguishes, in my original suggesting for the previous proposal. Using a different term altogether introduces more ambiguity by raising questions about what other ways the two  things differ. With `#Self`, I read that naturally as the compile-time (“#”) version of the thing being compiled (“Self”).

-tim