[swift-evolution] [RFC] #Self

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Tue May 10 08:15:50 CDT 2016

To focus SE-0068 and narrow its scope, I removed the `#Self` part of the proposal. This offered compile-time substitution of the defining type for a related #Self literal:

A further static identifier, #Self expands to static type of the code it appears within, completing the ways code may want to refer to the type it is declared in.

#Self expands to the static type of the code it is declared within. In value types, this is always the same as Self. In reference types, it refers to the declaring type. #Self will offer a literal textual replacement just like #file, etc.

At Chris's suggestion, I'm starting a new SE thread to see whether there remains any interest for including #Self in the language. I'm personally happy with the SE-0068 outcome but I didn't want to undercut anyone like Timothy Wood who had originally spoken up for its inclusion.

-- E