[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0074: Implementation of Binary Search functions

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Tue May 10 08:09:53 CDT 2016

> On May 9, 2016, at 10:28 PM, Nate Cook via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>>> I agree with both of these statements, but not with your conclusion.
>>>
>>> There are three classes of collections:
>>>
>>> 1) Those which are always sorted, like a SortedSet.
>>> 2) Those which may or may not be sorted, like an Array.
>>> 3) Those which are never sorted, like a Set.
>>>
>>> These APIs are useless on a #3, but #2 is still a valuable use case to support. In particular, it's quite common to use sorted `Array`s, and these APIs would help you do that.
>>>
>>> What I might consider doing is tying this to `RangeReplaceableCollection`. That protocol is applied only to types which allow insertion at arbitrary indices, which is a good, though not perfect, proxy for types which might allow you to manually maintain a sort order. `Array`, `ArraySlice`, `ContiguousArray`, and the mutable `String` views would get these methods, while `Set` and `Dictionary` would not.
>>
>> We could also introduce a new OrderedCollection protocol. (This would also be useful in the future for supporting `case` pattern matching on collections. It makes sense to pattern-match arrays and other ordered collections in order by element, but you'd expect very different semantics pattern-matching an unordered Set.)

I have some high-level comments about this proposal: it feels rather muddled and as if it's mixing different concerns.

Taking a step back, at a *minimum* I think the right way to add this functionality is to:

A) add generic functions like `binarySearch` (etc.) to `Collection` (taking the GIGO risk, of course)
B) add overridable methods like `sortedIndex(of:)` to `Collection` (taking the GIGO risk again, of course)
C) provide default implementations of e.g. `sortedIndex(of:)` that use `binarySearch` (etc.)

…and *ideally* I think both (A) and probably (B) wind up introducing some methods like `_customBinarySearchForComparableElement` (etc.), but that is a level of detail that can be skipped for this discussion.

I understand the motivation to try and add only “intent-focused” methods like `sortedIndex(of:)`, but a binary search should be expressible generically and is a very useful building block to have when building such higher-level methods; it would also prove useful to *implement* the `Sorted(…)` concept mentioned above, one would think.

I also think it will be a mistake to restrict the availability of any of these APIs to “sorted” collections; there are several reasons here.

One reason is simply b/c such sorted collections aren’t part of the standard library yet.

Also, it seems like for *some* of these methods (binarySearch) it’s a category error to restrict them to sorted collections: such sorted collections should instead simply exploit their own ordering/structure where appropriate!

Finally, things like binary searches are often basic building blocks (etc.) for *constructing* such ordered collections, and thus being unable to use them in that context would be limiting (e.g. if you wanted to implement `Sorted(…)` as suggested above, you’d probably benefit from being able to use these methods…).

Thus although I understand the desire for jumping immediately to the higher-level, "intent-focused” API, and although I understand the GIGO risk for having some of these methods defined too broadly, I am not sure the cures aren't worse than the disease here, so to speak.

>> -Joe
>
> Yet another alternative would be to drop Set and Dictionary down a level to a FiniteSequence protocol in between Sequence and Collection. Basically none of the index-based collection APIs (i.e. everything except `count` and `isEmpty`) make sense on sets and dictionaries. index(where:) was marginally useful with dictionaries, but now that Sequence is getting first(where:), née find(...), even that isn't necessary.

I’ve argued this (unsuccessfully) here in the past, but with 2 such distinctions:

- Sequence -> FiniteSequence
- Sequence -> StableSequence (“stable” meaning identical on each iteration)
- Collection: FiniteSequence, StableSequence

…but it didn’t go well; I can certainly dredge up my design notes if there’s someone else interested in taking up this case.