[swift-evolution] [Swift 4] Support an official reactive library

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Tue May 10 03:12:02 CDT 2016

Reactive programming is still catching on and evolving on the various platforms.Typically once you standardize something it must evolve drastically slower, so it works out better if mature technologies are pulled in.

I wouldn’t mind eventually seeing something analogous to http://www.reactive-streams.org in Swift. Reactive streams takes a step beyond most of the other reactive framework APIs and adds back pressure support. These API were driven by consensus between many projects on having a common base set of interfaces for implementation, and are being incorporated into the Java 9 release as well (as java.util.concurrent.Flow).

Right now I don’t think the various reactive programming libraries for objective-C and swift are close to having consensus on a baseline set of protocols, so I would imagine standardizing reactive programming would mean either picking a winner or adding yet another competitor to the mix.

-DW.