[swift-evolution] NSRange and Range

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Tue May 10 01:29:16 CDT 2016

> On May 9, 2016, at 11:23 PM, David Hart <david at hartbit.com> wrote:
>
> Why wouldn't it completely eliminate NSRange?

Because NSRange has a different representation than Range<Int> (start+length vs. start/end), a pointer-to-NSRange has to come in as Unsafe(Mutable)Pointer<NSRange> rather than Unsafe(Mutable)Pointer<Range<Int>>. It’s the same reason that (e.g.), an NSArray** parameter comes in as UnsafeMutablePointer<NSArray> rather than UnsafeMutablePointer<[AnyObject]>.

> Are you thinking of NSNotFound? Could we migrate those APIs to return an Optional Range<Int>?

If you had annotations on the APIs to say that they use NSNotFound as a sentinel, yes.

	- Doug