[swift-evolution] [Proposal] More lenient subscript methods over Collections (was: [Proposal] Safer half-open range operator)

Patrick Smith pgwsmith at gmail.com
Mon May 9 22:27:52 CDT 2016

I like the idea of the of the bounded subscript, however the optional one I feel could be used for clumsy code.

.first and .last have value, but once you start stepping several arbitrary indices in, then that code is likely fragile?

I can think of ‘within’, ‘inside’ and ‘intersecting’ as alternative names for ‘bounded’ that attempt to explain what is going on:

let a = [1, 2, 3]

a[within: 0 ..< 5] // [1, 2, 3]
a[inside: 0 ..< 5] // [1, 2, 3]
a[intersecting: 0 ..< 5] // [1, 2, 3]