[swift-evolution] Dropping NS Prefix in Foundation

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Mon May 9 10:49:53 CDT 2016

This is exactly the way I see it, too. Many people are coming to Swift
and immediately decrying the language because it doesn't have built-in
support for regex, date parsing, collections beyond the built-in 3,
etc., when it in fact has a rich tapestry of things from Foundation.

While I agree with many of the points made in the thread, I think we're
missing the forest for the trees. Foundation is the best at many of the
things it does on any platform. This is in spite of many of the points
made: it *has* an Objective-C API. It *is* coupled to Apple platforms.
It *does* have crufty edges.

Foundation not having a super-Swifty API is a solvable problem over
time, of which this is a first step down that road. Revamping the
Foundation API in the Swift 3 timeframe is not a solvable problem.

Cheers
  Zach Waldowski
  zach at waldowski.me