[swift-evolution] Dropping NS Prefix in Foundation

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon May 9 03:02:28 CDT 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Patrick Smith <pgwsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> My point isn’t about what Swift 4 could be, but a timeline for something
> new to be made. Swift 3 is almost here. Personally I think Foundation,
> while venerable for its time, is a poor fit for the new world of Swift.
> Anyway, I’ll let the others speak as they had valid arguments.

I don't disagree with you that Foundation is venerable and a little out of
place. I just think some future replacement for Foundation is entirely
orthogonal to proposals about present-day improvements that improve it.

And please don't take my comments to be calling you out specifically; you
happened to be the most recent person to mention a future version of Swift,
but in earlier comments there are mentions of Swift 5 or Swift 6 being the
point at which language facilities will permit a pure Swift replacement for
Foundation. Let's say one of those Swift 6 features then slips to Swift 7,
after which we finally start work on NewFoundation, to be shipped with
Swift 8. Now the year is 2021 and we've already colonized Mars...