[swift-evolution] SE-0066 Reaction

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Thu Apr 28 05:11:36 CDT 2016

>  What I’m trying to say is that there are a lot of reasons that the Swift type system works the way it does (e.g. inout has very specific behavior that doesn’t work when partially applied, we have specific promotion rules that apply only in argument lists etc).  These reasons and features are certainly debatable, but have nothing to do with SE-0066, therefore they seem out of scope for a discussion of SE-0066 to go into.

I agree, but although the model of small changes with immediate benefit has advantages, I think "the big picture" is to important to be ignored.
I don't think this is the case, but those of us whose only source of information is this list have a viewpoint that is narrow compared to a member of the core team (that's just natural — publishing every conversation isn't practical).

Coming back to the topic, there must have been a reason to start with a model where all functions take a single parameter (which might be a tuple), and there must be a good reason to dissociate from that principle.
I think actually knowing those motivations would be beneficial for the evolution process:
Although it's discouraged to discuss proposals with ground shaking consequences here on the list, sharing more of the long-term vision for Swift could help focusing on topics that fit into that vision.

(of course, I might just be missing an important post here or in the Swift blog, so please be patient with me if this is the case)

Best regards,
Tino