[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals.

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:20:50 CDT 2016

Hi.

The solutions discussed so far have the following disadvantages:
  - They need a specific delimiter token, which cannot be used in the text itself.
  - The data cannot be used as-is, escape \ characters are needed.
  - Imho, they are somewhat complicated.

In my emails previously submitted I came up with a "data line” concept,
a very simple solution, which tackles these disadvantages and is
very easy to use and understand!

Did you actually read it?
I now quote the primary description hereunder again, in case you’ve missed it,
imaginable, because there is a lot of text flying around.

Additionally, the following improvements have developed in my thinking:

In the mean time I consider using two tokens   \\ and \@:
    \\…data…data…data…data…………..   accepts data and converts \n \t etc.
or data lines starting with:
    \@…data…data…data…data… .…….  accepts data as-is, without conversion and
                         respects the linefeeds of the source-file.

the // and /@ tokens do not have to start at the beginning of a line,
are allowed further to the right as long as there are only space(s) to the
left of it.

let music =
\\when Doves Cry\nBy Prince and
\\ The Revolution\nWhat music
\\  can be\t\t\t\tIt is \”Magic\” really.

If you do or don’t like this solution
-apart from cosmetic viewpoints-
please tell me why. so I can improve it,
or try to come back with something better if i can.

let epilogue =
\@Thank you so much for reading my
\@ “contribution"  Please tell me
\@what you think, I \\\\\\\\\\\\\value//////////// your opinion!
\@“””””””””””””””””””””” kind Regards! “”””””””””””””””"
\@ Ted.

(the previous text following \@ data lines are accepted as-is, including
the source-file’s linefeeds or crlf and the double quotes)

Of course, other tokens are possible as well.

Can’t be any simpler than this, I guess.

TedvG

===================As Previously Written:=================

This could be a simple solution:

Starting each line with a special token.

In the example here it is the \\  double-backslash .
when the \\ appears in the first two columns of a source line,
this tells the compiler that it is a data line and that more might follow.
the last line starting with \\ completes the data entry.

Here is an example of a string declaration with some XML
(no escape sequences needed for “)
Of course it could be anything other kind of textual data as well.

let  str =
\\<!DOCTYPE html>
\\<html>
\\<body>
\\
\\<h1>W3Schools Internal Note</h1>\n
\\<div>
\\</div>
\\\n
\\<script>
\\var <smb://var> txt, parser, xmlDoc;
\\txt <smb://txt> = "<note>" +
\\"<to>Tove</to>" +
\\etc <smb://etc>. this is the last data line.

Conditions:

- Every line starting with \\ in first and second column of the line
  is  treated as a data line.
- All characters behind the \\ are regarded as data, thus note that:
     - the “ is not regarded as a string delimiter
     - the // chars and whatever follows it are interpreted as data on such a line, not as comment.
     -  \\  within the data itself are treated as data e.g. this line is valid:
\\There <smb://There> \\ are three backslashes (as data) in this line \\\\ today.
\\
the above data line is empty but is allowed.
for \\
- Leading and embedded spaces are respected.
- Tabs, Linefeeds etc. can be inserted the usual way using \t \n etc.
- trailing spaces and line terminators cr lf are ignored, filtered out.