[swift-evolution] multi-line string literals.

John Holdsworth mac at johnholdsworth.com
Fri Apr 22 11:59:04 CDT 2016

I’ve raised a speculative PR against the Swift Lexer to support multi-line string literals as was
suggested in the very first week Swift was open sourced and before that in various radars.

https://github.com/apple/swift/pull/2275

The approach taken is as simple as possible defining multi-line strings as being
delimited by “”” instead of “ and thereafter able to contain new line characters.

There has been some discussion of this before on swift-evolution:

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001565.html

I’m trying to avoid more advanced features such as the handling of indenting which
for me complicates something that if kept simple can be documented very easily.

This change will require a evolution proposal so I’d like to take the pulse before I write it up.

Thoughts?

John