[swift-evolution] [pitch] Eliminate the "T1 -> T2" syntax, require "(T1) -> T2"

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 01:57:21 CDT 2016

 >.. To me, it feel like extra syntax where the -> is already making it
very clear that we're dealing with a function...

Can't agree with you.

I don't think it's "very clear" where the function and where is result type
here:

Int -> String -> Void -> Float

in compare to this:

(Int) -> (String) -> (Void) -> Float

Int/String/Void - are parameters, not result type, as first result type is
(String) -> (Void) -> Float
then
(Void) -> Float
then
Float

Also, as described in proposal, if we can omit parenthesis then we have a
question if

(Int, Int) -> Void

is a tuple->Void or func with 2 arguments? as we also can have

((Int,Int)) -> Void which is tuple -> Void

Please look at this code :

func foo(_ : (x: Int, y: Int)) -> Int {
     return 1
}

typealias FooType1 = (Int,Int) -> Int  // so, what does this mean?? tuple
to Int or 2 params to Int ?
typealias FooType2 = (((Int,Int))) -> Int

let bar : FooType1 = foo  // ? will bar accept just tuple or just two params?
let bar2 : FooType2 = foo  // ? the same question

let z = (1,2)

foo(z)
//foo(1,2) //  ERROR : extra argument in call

bar(z)  // no problems
bar(1, 2)  // no problems

bar2(z)
// but
//bar2(1,2) // ERROR: extra argument in call

Were you confused by the FooType1 declaration?