[swift-evolution] [pitch] Eliminate the "T1 -> T2" syntax, require "(T1) -> T2"

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Sun Apr 24 01:18:44 CDT 2016

(Sorry to be hijacking a different subthread, but I only just subscribed
again to the mailing list)

I understand why the proposal has its benefits. Yet, if we look at the
SE-0009 rationale, we could apply much of that as an argument against this
proposal, e.g. "anything that is widely repeated becomes invisible.". To
me, it feel like extra syntax where the -> is already making it very clear
that we're dealing with a function. I can understand why people would want
to enforce parenthesised types in their code bases, but to me, it feels
like clutter. I don't have any other strong rationales, adding the
parentheses feels superfluous to me, but I'm sure that I can live with it,
too.

--
Chris Eidhof