[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Enforce argument labels on tuples

David Owens II david at owensd.io
Wed Apr 20 14:31:51 CDT 2016

This is similar to another concern I raised with functions and being able to essentially erase the function argument names and apply two different named parameters just because their types match.

It seems reasonable to me that you can go from (x: Int, y: Int) => (Int, Int). However, going from (x: Int, y: Int) => (a: Int, b: Int) feels somewhat odd. Yes, the types can obviously slot in there fine, but how much importance do the labels for the types bring to the table?

Similarly, should this (Int, Int) => (x: Int, y: Int) be allowed through an implicit means? If so, then it's really just an intermediate step for (x: Int, y: Int) => (a: Int, b: Int) working.

So what matters more, type signatures or label names?

Here's an example:

typealias Functor = (left: Int, right: Int) -> Int

func hi(x: Int, y: Int, fn: Functor) -> Int {
    return fn(left: x, right: y)
}

hi(1, y: 2, fn: +)
hi(1, y: 2, fn: *)

If we say that the parameter names are indeed vital, then the above code cannot work as the operators that match the type signature are defined as:

public func +(lhs: Int, rhs: Int) -> Int

Obviously, given a name to the parameter brings clarity and can be self documenting, but if we want the above to work while making names just as vital as the type signature, then we need to declare `Functor` as such:

typealias Functor = (_ left: Int, _ right: Int) -> Int

However, that's not even legal code today, and even if it were, is that really better?

So I'm mixed on the idea. I think the idea that type coercions happening for matching type signatures is very powerful, and this just happens to be one of the example manifestations of that.

-David