[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0059: Update API Naming Guidelines and Rewrite Set APIs Accordingly

Sean Heber sean at fifthace.com
Mon Apr 4 16:07:47 CDT 2016

This has been a very long and complex thread, but have some of these not-technically-mathy word pairs that have nice verb forms been considered:

union -> combine / combining
intersection -> intersect / intersecting
symmetricDifference -> split / splitting

Example:

var allowedUsers = Set<User>()
allowedUsers.combine(standardUsers)
allowedUsers.combine(superUsers)

var users = allUsers
users.intersect(allowedUsers)

let users = allUsers.intersecting(allowedUsers)

l8r
Sean