[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0059: Update API Naming Guidelines and Rewrite Set APIs Accordingly

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Apr 4 12:09:04 CDT 2016

> On Apr 4, 2016, at 9:20 AM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hmm, "emplace" looks like more or less a synonym for "install." I
> don't think it suggests that the object is being put in place of the
> subject.

It’s roughly a synonym. “emplaceUnion” is "putting the union into position". There is no other position than “self”.

> The latest example in the Oxford English Dictionary, from
> 2010, is:
> "Insurgents would hastily emplace victim-activated IEDs...after
> Pathfinder came through."
> Here, the IEDs are not taking the place of the insurgents.

I was going to comment about your choice of a terrorism-related example sentence, but the online OED *only* uses war-related examples for this verb.

	- Doug

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2016, at 1:56 PM, Shawn Erickson <shawnce at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM Shawn Erickson <shawnce at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I also am having difficulty coming to terms with the use of "form" (I am a
>>> native English speaker). As you note "form" can imply the creation of
>>> something from parts (more like assembling a new thing) as well as the
>>> creation of something out of a material say a of block clay (more like
>>> molding something out of an existing thing). It doesn't seem clear cut to me
>>> to imply in place mutation.
>>>
>>> Additionally my eyes / brain keep seeing "from" instead of "form". This
>>> type of issue is generally true with any short word made up of the same set
>>> of letters (made worse since "from" is more common in programming then
>>> "form"). The mind quickly narrows in on a set of possible words given the
>>> letters we see and then uses context to help get the correct one and/or
>>> additional visual parsing to understand the exact ordering of letters (more
>>> energy expended). Anyway since I keep seeing "from" instead of "form" I keep
>>> going in the direction of thinking it returns something made from the two
>>> (or more) items involved (not really sure why "from" goes that direction in
>>> my head, it could also go the in place direction).
>>>
>>> I would prefer something other then "form" (note I just typed "from" by
>>> mistake)... I think your suggestion of "become" has merit.
>>>
>>> y.becomeUnion(x) --reads to me as--> "y become union with x"
>>> y.formUnion(x) --read to me as--> "y from oops... y forming a union of x"
>>> y.becomeIntersection(x) --reads to me as--> "y become intersection with x"