[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0059: Update API Naming Guidelines and Rewrite Set APIs Accordingly

Patrick Gili gili.patrick.r at gili-labs.com
Sat Apr 2 14:56:52 CDT 2016

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
I am strongly opposed to the changes to the names of functions implementing set operations, as it is going to introduce a lot of confusion. While I'm a fairly rigid about consistency, I do think that there are acceptable exceptions to any set of rules/guidelines. This represents one of those cases. For example, changing union() to formUnion() for the sake of aligning compliance to API name guidelines simply doesn't make sense to me.

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
No.

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
No.

There are plenty of other languages that have API naming guidelines, such as C#, Ruby, and Python. However, they all demonstrate enough lenience to accommodate cases such as this. For example, http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.3.0/libdoc/set/rdoc/Set.html.

> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

In-depth.