[swift-evolution] SE-0025: Scoped Access Level, next steps

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Wed Mar 30 20:47:07 CDT 2016

> I know that it’s been suggested a while back, but what is/was the reasoning for rejecting:
>
> 	• public
> 	• module (same as internal in Swift 2.2)
> 	• file (same as private in Swift 2.2)
> 	• private

I know; I was one of the people who suggested it. I believe I saw two reasons for rejecting it:

1. This might be read as declaring a module/file, or attaching it to a module/file (a la `class func`), rather than scoping it.
2. `private` and `public` are adjectives; `module` and `file` are nouns.

I'm not entirely convinced by #1; #2 could be addressed by using, for instance, `modulewide` and `filewide`. In any case, though, the discussion seems to have moved elsewhere.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies