[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0048: Generic Type Aliases

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Wed Mar 30 00:39:40 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, at 09:54 AM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> What is your evaluation of the proposal?

Strong +1 here. I've wanted this since day one. In fact, I filed ticket
SR-64 to cover adding this a while ago.

>  * Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
>    change to Swift?

Yes, the lack of generic typealiases can be a real annoyance.

>  * Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

>  * If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
>    feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Both Haskell and Rust have generic typealiases and it works pretty well.

>  * How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
>    reading, or an in-depth study?

A quick reading, plus I was involved in the original swift-
evolution thread.

-Kevin Ballard