[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0048: Generic Type Aliases

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Wed Mar 30 00:14:31 CDT 2016

> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0048-generic-typealias.md

>    • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1

I think it is a very important feature to enable working with more complicated generic types while maintaining readability.

I do not agree with the decision not to support additional constraints on the generic type. I do have the strong feeling that this would be useful. At the moment it is not more than a feeling, though, without a compelling example, and as it can easily be added later I'm fine with a first implementation as proposed.

>    • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, definitely.

>    • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

>    • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Haskell has generic typealiases which are quite commonly used.

>    • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

A quick reading.

-Thorsten