[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0047 Defaulting non-Void functions so they warn on unused results

Sean Heber sean at fifthace.com
Wed Mar 16 15:23:51 CDT 2016

Strongly in favor of this. I’ve added the existing @warn_unused_result all over the place in my own code and it helps keep me honest - but I’m kind of tired of the boilerplate!

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Calling it a “problem” is probably not the right term in this case, but yes, I think change is warranted due to Swift’s willingness to help developers avoid bugs by omission.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, I believe so. Swift already alerts you when you don’t mutate a var or cover all possible switch cases and this feels like a very similar situation.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I don’t think I’ve used any with this sort of default.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Followed the mailing list discussion, read the proposal, encountered the issue in my own code.

l8r
Sean