[swift-evolution] SE-0025: Scoped Access Level, next steps

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Tue Mar 15 04:45:05 CDT 2016

I agree that the current "private" is useful, and would rather keep everything as-is than remove this scope.
I'm neutral on adding a new access level, but don't like the "private(file)"-syntax:
The issues with properties could be solved (my preference would be "private <file> (set) var x: Int"), but imho all access levels should be specified in the same way (that would put me in the "local" camp).

If the access model is changed, i vote for a broad discussion about the topic as whole to minimize breaking changes (for example, it would be nice to have an elegant way to express that a method can be overridden by a subclass, but not be called).

Tino