[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introducing #fileName debug identifier

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 16:16:11 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Erica Sadun <erica at ericasadun.com> wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2016, at 2:37 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
> If it is practical to get the module-relative path, I’d rather see us switch
> #file to produce *that*, and introduce a #fullPath that produces the current
> behavior.  Rationale: we want to encourage deterministic and stable builds
> wherever possible, and including the full path to a source file breaks the
> ability to build in different directories (e.g. two different users’s
> homedirs) and get the same executable out.
>

> I'd like to know one way or another. My current understanding is that this
> is not produced as part of the build.

Just wanted to remind everyone that we control the whole stack, the
swift compiler, the package manager etc.  If something needs to change
in the tooling to pass extra arguments to the compiler to support this
feature, we can coordinate across all projects and make it happen.
Let's figure out an end state that we like, and that is feasible to
implement.

Dmitri