[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0046 Establish consistent label behavior across all parameters including first labels

Charles Srstka cocoadev at charlessoft.com
Sun Mar 13 11:53:12 CDT 2016

+1

> On Mar 11, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

It’s probably needed. The inconsistency in the current rules for argument labels is rather ugly.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I think so. This will make the language cleaner, as well as make it easier for newcomers to pick up.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I’d say so. In fact, it seems to fit Swift’s general aesthetic better than the current behavior.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Most languages I’ve seen have all the arguments either labeled or unlabeled by default. Having the first argument treated differently is somewhat idiosyncratic, and this change would bring Swift more in line with other languages.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick reading.

Charles