[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0037 Clarify interaction between comments & operators

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Fri Mar 11 13:55:56 CST 2016

> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I’m in favour of it; comments shouldn’t conflict with parsing of operators, no matter where someone decides to put them. My preference is towards the “treat comments as absent” alternative however; while I do agree in principle that comments should be placed stupidly, I’m not sure that that’s something we should try to control here. That said, if use of whitespace as proposed would be easier for the compiler either in speed or complexity, then I’m fine with it as a solution too.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I’d say so; comments shouldn’t be allowed to affect the compiler IMO, yet currently they can.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read of the proposal, considered the alternatives.

Also I’m a -1 to suggestions that /* … */ style comments should be removed; I use these almost exclusively as I can never be 100% sure that a comment won’t need to spill onto more lines, and I hate how multi-line // comments look. I use // for end of line comments though, or for adding // MARK: tags to code sections.