[swift-evolution] [Review extension] SE-0030 Property Behaviors

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 15:07:04 CST 2016

I personally like the functionality outlined in this proposal. Also *tip of
my hat* to those that have put together this proposal and prototype
implementation.

The biggest issue seems to be the syntax for it and it is becoming hard to
follow the discussion thread given all the – often nicely – outlined
alternatives.

I guess it isn't clear what of the alternatives are seriously being
considered, etc. ... as well as the state of the proposal potentially
incorporating these alternates.

If property behaviors are likely to be user definable in addition to a
canned set of behaviors provided by the standard library then I feel we
should attempt to avoid yet another methodology of name-spacing /
extending. I feel we should attempt to leverage existing language
methodologies as possible (for example the suggestion around consider
behaviors as an extension to var and let, etc.).

I don't have anything really to propose along those lines (still trying to
get a lot worked out in my head) but I wanted to express my first gut
feeling on this.

-Shawn