[swift-evolution] Warning for possible overflow or optional

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:28:41 CST 2016

I believe you stated that you ran across at least two times that runtime
checks caught a narrowing error (e.g. overflow) in your recent work. I
support runtime checks however I feel in the case of operations that could
have a narrowing issue using a failable constructor makes sense. It puts
you control in how to deal with a narrowing error. You could assert if you
so want (much like what happens now) or you could deal with the edge case.
Swift makes the code to deal with a failable  initializer generally trivial.

It makes you think about this very real pitfall (in some problem
domains) when going between numerical types.

The issue of why are you using unsigned, etc. is orthogonal to this issue.
If these types exist in the language folks will use them and it should be
safe / consistent for them when they do.

-Shawn