[swift-evolution] CollectionType on uniform tuples [forked off Contiguous Variables]

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Fri Feb 12 15:37:34 CST 2016

> How realistic is it to also have a `count` getter? If we can't have `for elem in tuple`, at least that would allow `for i in 0..<tuple.count`.

I do want a way to get the count (or you could call it the arity, doesn't really matter). The syntax is a bit of an issue, though. Four suggestions, each annotated with its flaw:

	typealias FourInts = (4 x Int)
	let fourInts = (1, 2, 3, 4)

	fourInts.arity		// might interfere with tuples that have an element labeled `arity`
	FourInts.arity		// didn't someone say SIL has trouble with things like properties on compound types?
	arity(FourInts)		// this is known at compile time, no need for a runtime function call
	#arity(FourInts)	// hash is kind of gross, and I'm currently suspicious of all hash proposals

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies