[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Version-pinned patching of public declarations

Ari Weinstein ari at deskconnect.com
Thu Feb 11 16:19:18 CST 2016

Hi all,

I just wanted to throw some more support behind this. Having such a
patching mechanism built-in to the language and allowing developers to work
around the inevitable bugs in frameworks (system or otherwise) would be a
huge boon to the developer community and ultimately, users.

There are some issues with the single version-based patching approach. For
example, if I'm working around a bug in a system framework in iOS 9.0, and
Apple suddenly releases a bug-fix update like iOS 9.0.1 that doesn't fix
the issue, I don't have the opportunity to release an update, and my patch
would break. Additionally, it seems potentially unreasonable for developers
would have to release updates simply to uphold patches for bugs that aren't
fixed (many bugs in iOS system frameworks go several releases before being
fixed).

In my head, it'd make sense for the version-patching to specify a start and
end version - like, "this patch should be used when using a framework with
a version between 1.2 and 2.0.1." If there is no applicable end version
yet, the developer could specify only a start version, and update the app
with the appropriate end version when the issue has been resolved.

Ari

Ari Weinstein
Co-founder of Workflow