[swift-evolution] When to use argument labels, part DEUX (was: when to use argument labels (a new approach))

Radosław Pietruszewski radexpl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:46:18 CST 2016

Dave,

First of all, thank you for enduring our nitpicks and complaints and continuing to explore the subject :) I think we’re all better off for it, and getting closer to the solution with each iteration.

You asked:

> 1. I'm not expecting these guidelines to make everybody optimally happy,
>   all the time, but they shouldn't be harmful.  Are there any cases for
>   which they produce results you couldn't live with?

And I think, by this standard, the guidelines you proposed seem to be a success. Looking through Doug’s diffs, I see a lot of method names that I don’t *love*, but I couldn’t find something I would hate.

* * *

> -  subscript (key: String) -> CKRecordValue?		+  subscript (keyedSubscript key: String) -> CKRecordValue?

Huh?

> -  func dateBySettingUnit(unit: CalendarUnit, value v: Int, of date: Date, options opts: CalendarOptions = []) -> Date?
> +  func dateBy(settingUnit unit: CalendarUnit, value v: Int, of date: Date, options opts: CalendarOptions = []) -> Date?

That doesn’t look like the intended result...

— Radek