[swift-evolution] [proposal] default func ==(_:_:)

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:09:01 CST 2016

+1 on this proposal. It would also be nice to have this on Comparable,
@memberwise would be a useful way to do it. I think how member wise could
be defined needs work.

Perhaps what Dave suggests would work like this:

extension Equatable {
    @memberwise(Equatable, each)
    func ==(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
        return each.reduce(false, each: &&)

Specifying 'each' would be optional, it would default to memberResults, or
something equally explicit.

Specifying the protocol is necessary, in case it's not obvious from the
extension.

The function must have the same type, but may take Self for some or all
arguments.