[swift-evolution] [proposal] Either in the Swift Standard Library

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Sat Jan 30 05:53:19 CST 2016

As this thread is already quite huge, and discussion could go on forever, maybe you don't mind a crosspost:
I really don't think "Either" belongs to the standard library, but I also think it is bad to have a thousand nearly identical implementations of it.
So, what is the right place for Either?
My answer to that question is written in another thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/4640/focus=4667

There are no signs anyone at Apple would support a standard library for functional programming, but maybe we as a community are strong enough to establish it on our own.

David already created something (https://github.com/swift-breeze) that could act as a starting point.
I have no idea if this will work out well, but I'm planning to push aside vanity and contribute to a project that is neither my own nor lures with the fame associated with core Swift itself.

So, why not simply push back discussion and start coding & committing? ;-)

Tino