[swift-evolution] [Design Question] Metaprogramming as a non-goal

Michael Henson mikehenson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 01:17:16 CST 2016

In the swift/docs/Generics.rst documentation, I see:

"
As important as the goals of a feature are the explicit non-goals, which we
don't want
or don't need to support:
* Compile-time "metaprogramming" in any form
* Expression-template tricks a la Boost.Spirit, POOMA
"

What kinds of things count as compile-time metaprogramming? I've been
tinkering with some ideas related to the type system and having a more
specific description here might help me pare many / most / all of them down.

Mike