[swift-evolution] Pitch: Import Objective-C Constants as Enums

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Wed Jan 20 22:01:36 CST 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 6:39 PM, Jeff Kelley <slaunchaman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I still have reservations about this:
>>>
>>> - Most of these strings are not things you switch on, making the enum-ness not particularly interesting. I'd be happier with a RawRepresentable struct.
>>
>> I think a RawRepresentable struct captures the intended semantics well. Jeff, what do you think?
>
> I haven’t used RawRepresentable by itself before. Is this the kind of result we’d get?
>
> struct NSErrorDomain: RawRepresentable {
>
>     static let Cocoa: MyRelatedValue
>     static let POSIX: MyRelatedValue
>     static let OSStatus: MyRelatedValue
>     static let Mach: MyRelatedValue
>
>     typealias RawValue = String
>
>     init?(rawValue: RawValue)

This initializer should be non-failable; we’ll accept any raw value.

>     var rawValue: String  { get }

Otherwise, yes, this is it.

> If so, I think that has the same benefits of an enum without the added baggage. We get a type for the values, a list of the public instances of the value, and the typedef in Objective-C even makes that language more readable. As long as we can still get to an instance of the value using the short dot syntax:
>
> 	let foo: NSErrorDomain = .Cocoa

Yes, that works with static lets.

> Then I see no downside to a struct vs. an enum. The only reason I’d thought of an enum in the first place was that I’ve seen existing Swift code use enums to group related strings—user defaults keys, etc.

Right. struct seems to model the uses of these string constants betters. FWIW, I suggest that you put “String” somewhere in the title of your proposal when you revise it.

> Adding a new value in the future should definitely be as straightforward as possible, but I’m not sure what about this approach makes that more difficult.

I think it’s just a matter of declaring a new constant on the Objective-C side, and it’ll get pulled into the struct definition or (if the new constant is in a different module) an extension thereof.

	- Doug