[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft #2] Naming Functions with Argument Labels

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Mon Jan 11 15:51:53 CST 2016

> On Jan 11, 2016, at 3:42 PM, David Owens II via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> I like the proposal. It does illustrate one of the naming conventions I really dislike with Swift (implicitly unnamed first parameter).
>

>> let fn1 = someView.insert(subview:aboveSubview:)
> Would have looked so much better. =)

I agree in this case, although there may be cases where unnamed arguments are still better.  This seems like it is at least partly a problem with how existing Cocoa APIs are imported.

> Anyhow, +1 for the proposal.

Agree.  +1 from me as well.  This looks really good.

Now I’m looking forward to seeing more about lenses so we can also work with getters, setters, and subscripts.

Matthew