[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0018 Flexible Memberwise Initialization

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Mon Jan 11 04:59:40 CST 2016

Especially after reviewing the associated proposals, I can't avoid the impression that the topic of initialization steers towards a complexity that is hard to to justify.
There are whole programming languages that are easier to explain than the rules that are laid out here and in the other threads — and I mean it literally:
Just take Scheme or Tcl as an example.

I already suggested to delay the decision, but now I'm convinced this would be way better than to force an issue.
There are alternatives that have been mentioned but did not yet receive a fair treatment, and there might be better solutions no one has been talking about.
Initialization isn't that bad right now, so despite Matthews haste, there is imho no need to choose a solution without a neutral comparison of all options.