[swift-evolution] Allowing Characters for use as Custom Operators

Dennis Lysenko dennis.s.lysenko at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:50:49 CST 2016

Chris, perhaps there is a disconnect in our perceptions of the commonly
proposed list. Based on the way you and others have referenced the commonly
proposed list, it comes off as a blacklist of sorts. That is, "it's on the
commonly proposed list" seems to be seen as an argument against a proposal.
I only worry that the mere presence of something on the commonly proposed
list will serve as a deterrent to legitimate proposals involving it in the
future.

If you have taken that into consideration when deciding to place infix
functions on the commonly proposed list then fair enough. I just feel that
infix functions have not been discussed nearly as much as, say,
"indentation over brace syntax" or "getting rid of ternary", and it's a bit
preemptive to put such a dent in potential future discussion because you
personally cannot imagine a use case warranting the language change.

Out of curiosity, has there even been a top-level proposal for infix
functions that generated significant discussion?